The health engineering training course prepares students to management posts in the sector of health products meeting with the demand and the emerging needs in the fields of Medicines, Cosmetics, Health Food, medical devices (formulation, clinical development, production, and distribution) and in the sector of Health safety and Environment by :
- The association of a strong scientific background to a vocational training course.
- Programmes designed and led by professionals for each course.
- Learning the tools and softwares for the Management of projects in the industry, the command of English and a second foreign language.
- A work placement within a company (up to 5 months in M1 and 6 months in M2)
- The professionalization of courses adapted to the needs of the job market by opening the training course in M2 to work-linked training and to apprenticeship as well as continuing education (VAP, VAE).
The wide range of the disciplines taught the implementation and the management of projects as well and the courses on offer allow the students to develop transversal skills in Health Engineering which apply to various sectors such as medicines, cosmetics, biomaterials and the environment. These skills boost professional insertion significantly. The word health must be understood in a very wide meaning including citizens’ health and the health of the environment around them. Health products, whether they are medicines, cosmetics or health food present many common points on the design, manufacturing and packaging fronts, even on certain regulatory aspects.
Main specificities of the training course:
- A constant adaptation of the training course according to the needs of the industry and the emergence of new professions in the fields of health products thanks to a development council made of professionals and academics which constantly receives the « health engineering » training assessments as well as the evolutions to bring to the programmes according to the needs of the professional sector. The sector of health products is fast moving according to the scientific, technical, regulatory, economic, strategic or managerial advances.
- A solid scientific background allows the professional career to evolve.
- All students have the basic skills that are not related to the specialisation.
- Project management is at the core of a double competence taught to all.
- The training course includes a technical regulatory adaptation (at national and international level).
Professionalization is at the same time at the most important characteristic and the core of Montpellier Health Engineering training. It involves several aspects:
- The intervention all along the training course of many health professionals several of which are PAST (Part-time associate professionals, members of the school’s teaching staff).
- Many work placements (up to 14 months in total for the students following the complete course degree/master, 11 of which are for the master), completed by case studies, personal projects which are mostly achieved by liaising directly with professionals.
- A development council made of 50% of professionals and 50% if academics which drives the evolution of the training course.
- A very strong link with the LEEM (les entreprises du médicament), the syndicate of pharmaceutical industries which brings its constant support since the creation of the training course.
- A former students association (AAEISM) which makes a network available and enables us to a constant feedback on the relevance of the teaching and which provides conference speakers, work placements etc…
DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL :
The educational leadership of the « Health Engineering » option is ensured by a DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL which meets once a year at the end of the university year in order to assess the elapsed year, to plan for the evolution of the teaching and the programmes of the forthcoming year and to analyse based on educational and professional indicators the performances of the training course. This council also helps anticipate the emerging professions and evaluate their adaptation and feasibility within our training course.
This development council is made of professionals representing large groups and pharmaceutical organisations and of university teachers.
FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE “REMIS” NETWORK :
This network gathers several “health engineering” training courses.
Consisting of the course managers and the Head of studies, the board is chaired by the Master’s director. Its mission is to implement the decisions of the Development Council and to oversee the quality of the lessons and the organization.
The “Health Engineering” training has from the start focused on the international market and has expanded throughout the world. In order to do so, it has taken the necessary steps (training/ international relations).. Please also refer to the sub-headings: importance of foreign languages, studying abroad etc.
The teaching staff comes from the university and from the professional field:
- Teacher-researchers (or teachers) from Montpellier Faculties of Pharmacy, Medicine and Sciences.
- Part-time associate professionals (PAST). Several PAST each have half-positions as university lecturers: thanks to their double competence these teachers are a particularly efficient link between the university and the workplace.
- Speakers, essentially professionals, but also some specialised academics.
In addition, all the course supervisors play a particularly decisive role.